Captain John Langland Park
Captain John Langland Park (The Turnaround at the Lake Michigan Shoreline North of the Channel) West End of Second Street, Portage Point, Onekama Township
Community park, natural resource area
Some of the facilities/park areas meet accessibility guidelines for those with disabilities
Accessible from paved thoroughfare
Beaches, swimming, access to Channel north pier for fishing and walking, picnicking, Lake views, watching sunset
This popular area includes a large, asphalt-paved parking lot, a deck with two gazebos that is handicap accessible, and stairs to the Lake Michigan beach. The beach, which is a public land that is platted as Lake Michigan Avenue in Portage Point Resort, leads southward to the north pier of the Portage Lake-Lake Michigan Channel, where fishermen congregate and others walk to obtain a better view of the waters. The beach is extensively used during the warmer months for walking, sunbathing, and swimming. Portable toilets are provided here during the summer months.
The Park is named for Langland, being designated as “Captain John Langland Park.” The original lighthouse, which was kerosene, was placed at the end of the north pier in 1891 and was tended by Captain Langland; Langland remained at Portage Lake in his of official capacity as light tender until the light was automated and lighted with acetylene gas in 1917.
A metal catwalk leading to the wooden light was built in 1901. A steel light tower replaced the wooden structure in 1930. This tower was removed in 1985; a steel cylinder with a light was installed at that time.